Pimsleur Japanese Level 5 Premium
Pimsleur. The Art of Conversation. Down to a Science.
- Lessons: 30
- ISBN: 9781508235972
List Price: $150.00
Free Audio Lesson
Learn a new language while commuting, while cleaning the house, or working out. Like millions before you, discover the power of the scientifically sequenced and portable Pimsleur Method.
Japanese Level 5 (30, 30-min. daily lessons + Reading Lessons) Mobile app and web-based app with interactive learning and review tools teaches speaking, understanding, and reading.
Pimsleur Premium Makes Learning Japanese Easy
• 30-minute core lessons you can take anywhere with the Pimsleur app, or do at home with Amazon® Alexa®, or on your computer.
• Sync progress across all your devices.
• Individual progress tracking for one main account holder and up to 3 additional household members.
• Hands-free mode makes it easy to learn anywhere.
• Great review options including Skills categories, digital flash cards, Quick Match Quiz, and Speed Round.
• Speak Easy conversation practice lets you role-play while reviewing your conversations’ written transcripts.
Every level of Pimsleur Japanese Premium contains approximately 15 hours of audio language instruction in 30 daily lessons featuring the proven Pimsleur Method, plus
• Reading Lessons to introduce you to reading,
• 300 digital flash cards allow you to practice, brush up, or review,
• And with the Quick Match interactive phrase game, you get 300 questions to challenge you.
• 30 Speak Easy conversations allow you to fine-tune conversational skills and perfect your accent,
• 30 spectacular high resolution travel photographs to inspire and enhance your cultural education,
• 30 light bulb moments to connect culture and history to your language learning.
Over 50 years ago, Dr. Paul Pimsleur developed a method that transformed language learning. Since then, millions have used this system to begin to speak and understand a new language quickly. You can too.
• Quick + Easy – Only 30 minutes a day.
• Portable + Flexible – Core lessons can be done anytime, anywhere, and easily fit into your busy life.
• Proven Method – Works when other methods fail.
• Self-Paced – Go fast or go slow – it’s up to you.
• Based in Science – Developed using proven research on memory and learning.
• Cost-effective – Less expensive than classes or immersion, and features all native speakers.
• Genius – Triggers your brain’s natural aptitude to learn.
• Works for everyone – Recommended for ages 13 and above.
With Pimsleur Premium, you learn fast as you roam free.
Still only 30 minutes a day, Pimsleur Premium is completely portable, and audio lessons are hands-free; you can do them in the car, at the gym, or while out for a walk. Lessons sync across devices, so while you’re free to ramble, the app keeps your language learning firmly on track.
Digital flash cards and the Quick Match interactive phrase game provide listening and reading practice and review, and Speak Easy conversations help you to engage with the language. They pull you into the culture, fixing rhythm and intonation in your mind, and help you to develop a near-native accent.
Every course is painstakingly crafted to highlight and explore the culture where your new language is spoken. Pimsleur Premium features high-resolution photos with light bulb captions that delight and inform, and cover everything from art and architecture, to festivals, history, vivid landscapes, and cultural curiosities.
What You’ll Learn
Builds upon skills taught in Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4.
The thirty 30-minute lessons, plus the reading practice, will enable you to speak and understand with near fluency and with a broad range of conversational skills. In Level 5 the pace and conversation move quite rapidly, accelerating exposure to new vocabulary and structures, approaching native speed and comprehension. You’ll learn to speak more in-depth about your personal life and emotional state, and be able to create complex sentences using a mix of tenses and moods.
Some topics included in Japanese Level 5 are:
• includes many more informal expressions appropriate for conversing with close friends, and
• how to switch from informal to formal conversational forms
• attend a college reunion,
• go to a wedding reception and catch-up with old friends,
• get recommendations for travel in Hokkaido and other travel destinations such as the Seikan undersea tunnel and Shiretoko National Park,
• experience kaitenzushi – a casual style sushi restaurant
• Japanese cultural activities in the U.S,
• the background of Hokkaido,
• the Ainu culture (indigenous people of northern Japan),
• how to spend Christmas and New Years in Japan,
• differences between Japan and the US regarding holiday greeting cards and the Japanese post office,
• the extensive Japanese trash disposal and recycling system
Other topics include:
• wasei eigo (Japanese-made English words),
• Japanese business hotels or budget hotels,
• Japanese convenient stores, and
• how to cook delicious sushi rice.
Reading Lessons are included to practice reading Hiragana and Katakana alphabets, plus learn to recognize and "read" some Kanji characters of familiar words.
Reading and Writing in Japanese
By the 5th century AD Chinese characters began to be widely used in Japan. This early alphabet, Kanji, created new literacy, but brought many complications in pronunciation. In the 8th century, two new phonetic alphabets, or kana, were devised to bridge the gap: Hiragana and Katakana. Hiragana is used along with the Kanji to show the syllables that form suffixes and particles – “sounds” in other words, while Katakana was used for foreign loan words, like “coffee” or “computer.” Today in Japan, the three writing systems are combined, with Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana often appearing within a single sentence.
Reading lessons are included and will build upon the language skills acquired in Levels 1 through 5. These lessons are designed to deepen your memory and understanding of learned vocabulary, as well as to begin the work of connecting the words and phrases that you've learned to the Japanese writing systems.
Learning the sound of each letter alone and in culturally distinct combinations allows your brain to process what you’re hearing in the audio lessons from a new and different perspective. It’s a powerful combination that makes Pimsleur different from every other method on the market.
Review on Your Terms
Brush up, or dive deep — it’s all up to you. Reinforce what you’ve learned quickly and effectively with flash cards. Created to help you practice the most-essential vocabulary, the cards contain words and short phrases from the daily audio lessons. The Quick Match interactive phrase game will help you to challenge yourself with longer phrases and sentences in a fun and fast-paced way. All new Skills categories let you view or review by topic, using either a list or a quiz format.
Expand your horizons. Reconnect with your heritage. Travel with confidence.
Experience language learning like never before. Pimsleur Premium: easy, engaging, and fun.
The Japanese Language
Japanese has many “registers” or levels of politeness. Throughout every level of your Pimsleur course, you will learn how to speak at a polite register, which is appropriate in virtually any situation you are likely to encounter in Japan. In Level 5, you will continue to learn some ways of speaking in a less formal manner, used in conversation between friends, family members, or colleagues who are at the same level in an organization.
Pimsleur Premium is designed for use by one registered user, plus up to three household members, and may be installed on unlimited devices for your personal use.
Pimsleur Premium runs on mobile devices for Apple® iOS and most Android™ devices. A desktop version is available for Mac® or Windows® computers. Audio lessons can be streamed on Amazon® Echo® devices using the Alexa® Pimsleur Skill.
Minimum System Requirements
Pimsleur Mobile App
• Apple® iOS 11 or greater
• Android™ 7 or greater
• Most Android smartphones and tablets with 1280 X 720 or larger screen
• Internet connection required
• Chrome, Firefox, Safari browser (latest version recommended)
Pimsleur Skill for Amazon® Echo® Devices
• An Amazon® Echo® device