Pimsleur Portuguese (Brazilian) Level 5 CD
Learn to Speak and Understand Brazilian Portuguese with Pimsleur Language Programs
- Also available in: Pimsleur (Audio Only)
- Lessons: 30
- ISBN: 9781508244905
- Availability: In Stock: Usually ships within 1 business day
List Price: $345.00
Free Audio Lesson
Learn a new language while commuting, while cleaning the house, or working out. Like millions before you, discover the power of the scientifically sequenced and portable Pimsleur Method.
|Pimsleur Portuguese (Brazilian) Levels 1-5 CD||
List Price: $1,190.00
Includes 30 lessons and reading instruction on 16 CDs (16 hrs), plus Reading Booklet.
The Easiest and Fastest Way to Learn Brazilian Portuguese
Whether you want to travel, communicate with friends or colleagues, reconnect with family, or just understand more of what’s going on in the world around you, learning Brazilian Portuguese will expand your horizons and immeasurably enrich your life.
The best part is that it doesn’t have to be difficult or take years to master. Thirty minutes a day is all it takes, and we get you speaking right from the first day. Pimsleur courses use a scientifically-proven method that puts you in control of your learning. If you’ve tried other language learning methods but found they simply didn’t stick, then you owe it to yourself to give Pimsleur a try.
• Quick + Easy – Only 30 minutes a day.
• Portable + Flexible – Core lessons can be done anytime, anywhere, and easily fit into your busy life.
• Proven Method – Works when other methods fail.
• Self-Paced – Go fast or go slow – it’s up to you.
• Based in Science – Developed using proven research on memory and learning.
• Cost-effective – Less expensive than classes or immersion, and features all native speakers.
• Genius – Triggers your brain’s natural aptitude to learn.
• Works for everyone – Recommended for ages 13 and above.
• 30, 30-minute audio lessons, all featuring native speakers
• Reading instruction in the form of a short story to provide you with practice reading Brazilian Portuguese
• A Reading Booklet
What You’ll Learn
Builds upon skills taught in Pimsleur’s Brazilian Portuguese Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4. You’ll be speaking and understanding Portuguese with near fluency and with a broad range of conversational skills. In Level 5 the pace and conversation moves quite rapidly, accelerating exposure to new vocabulary and structures, approaching native speed and comprehension. You’ll learn to speak more in-depth about your personal life and emotional state, and be able to create complex sentences using a mix of tenses and moods.
Some topics include:
• Health and well being: body parts and facial features; pains, symptoms and cures; allergies; sleeping and waking; gaining and losing weight; exercising and running a marathon.
• Personal life: routines and habits; fashion tastes and styles; emotions; personality types; empathy, regrets and hopes; agreeing and disagreeing; reinventing yourself; learning a new skill.
• Family and relationships: family resemblance; growing up; plans and aspirations for the future; personal sacrifices and family support.
• Work, leisure and travel: public speaking; memorizing and performing poetry; planning a get-together; going to an art exhibit; theater; planning an outing; going fishing; months and seasons of the year; protection from the sun.
• Home life: real estate; colors; home ownership; doing the laundry; family finances; down-sizing; retirement; life in the country versus the big city.
• Grammar etc.: more complicated verb forms and tenses; dropping pronouns when it’s clear who is talking; common Brazilian expressions, idioms, and proverbs.
Reading Lessons in the form of a short story are included at the end of Lesson 30. These lessons are designed to give you practice reading Brazilian Portuguese, to provide vocabulary and improve pronunciation. Before you know it, you’ll be reading Brazilian Portuguese with the ease and flexibility of a native speaker.
Learning the sound of each letter alone and in culturally distinct combinations allows your brain to process what you’re hearing in the audio lessons from a new and different perspective. It’s a powerful combination that makes Pimsleur different from every other method on the market.
The Pimsleur Method
We make no secret of what makes this powerful method work so well. Paul Pimsleur spent his career researching and perfecting the precise elements anyone can use to learn a language quickly and easily. Here are a few of his “secrets”:
The Principle of Anticipation
In the nanosecond between a cue and your response, your brain has to work to come up with the right word. Having to do this boosts retention, and cements the word in your mind.
Words, phrases, and sentences are selected for their usefulness in everyday conversation. We don’t overwhelm you with too much, but steadily increase your ability with every lesson.
Graduated Interval Recall
Reminders of new words and structures come up at the exact interval for maximum retention and storage into your long-term memory.
You work on multiple aspects of the language simultaneously. We integrate grammar, vocabulary, rhythm, melody, and intonation into every lesson, which allows you to experience the language as a living, expressive form of human culture.
Learning in Context
Research has shown that learning new words in context dramatically accelerates your ability to remember. Every scene in every Pimsleur lesson is set inside a conversation between two people. There are no drills, and no memorization necessary for success.
The Pimsleur Method + active learner participation = success. This method works with every language and every learner who follows it. You gain the power to recall and use what you know, and to add new words easily, exactly as you do in English.
The Brazilian Portuguese Language
Portuguese is the mother tongue of about 230 million people, mainly in Portugal and the Portuguese islands in the Atlantic, Brazil, and Portugal’s former overseas provinces in Africa and Asia. Pimsleur’s Brazilian Portuguese teaches the São Paulo metropolitan dialect.
• CDs are formatted for playing in all CD players, including car players, and users can copy files for use in any portable media player.