Free Audio Lesson
Learn a new language while commuting, while cleaning the house, or working out. Like millions before you, discover the power of the scientifically sequenced and portable Pimsleur Method.
Includes 5 lessons and reading instruction (150 minutes) as MP3 download, plus PDF reading booklet
The Pimsleur® Method: the easiest, fastest way to learn a new language. Completely portable, easily downloadable, and lots of fun. You’ll be speaking and understanding in no time flat! Castilian Spanish Phase 1, Units 26-30 build on material taught in prior units. Each lesson provides 30 minutes of spoken language practice, with an introductory conversation, and new vocabulary and structures. Detailed instructions enable you to understand and participate in the conversation. Each lesson contains practice for vocabulary introduced in previous lessons. The emphasis is on pronunciation and comprehension, and on learning to speak Castilian Spanish. These units contain Reading Lessons designed to teach you to sound out words with correct pronunciation and accent. In addition, combined Reading Lessons from all the units are included at the end. A Reading Booklet to be used with the audio lessons is also included in PDF format.
- In the United States, the term “Castilian” or “Castilian Spanish” usually refers to the dialect that is the official language of Spain, where it’s used in television and radio broadcasts. It is understood throughout the country, although there are marked regional differences.
- The difference between Castilian Spanish as spoken in Spain and Spanish as spoken in the Americas (now called Latin American Spanish) is due to the diminishing contact between Spain and the Americas over the centuries and to the influence of local languages in the Americas. These two main variants of Spanish are mutually intelligible; the difference between them is comparable to that between British English and American English.
- Pimsleur’s “Castilian Spanish” teaches the official dialect as spoken by the majority of Spanish-speakers in Spain.
- Spanish is the official language of twenty-one countries and is one of the six official languages of the United Nations. Spanish is the first language of more than 350 million people, more than any other language except Mandarin Chinese.
- Furthermore, Spanish is a common second language --- the most studied after English, and the third most commonly used on the Internet after English and Mandarin.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy to use
- Great For My Accent
- It Works
- Perfects Accent
- Incomprehensible At Times
- No writing component
- Starting The Language
Comments about Castilian Spanish Phase 1, Unit 26-30:
I love this system. It is fun and challenging to use, and very logical in how it presents new material. But just as I was starting to feel like a solid beginner, I ran out of lessons. We need 30 more lessons! What are you waiting for?
Work them up!
Service and delivery comments:
I also would like to see the phrases I am learning, and have more tips and indications about why something is done a certain way. Also the approach to conjugation and tenses can be more robust. As it is, we learn the conjugations piecemeal, and we don't really learn a whole lot about tenses.
The reading component is nice, but it should relate more directly to the corresponding lesson.