Free Audio Lesson
Learn a new language while commuting, while cleaning the house, or working out. Like millions before you, discover the power of the scientifically sequenced and portable Pimsleur Method.
Includes 5 lessons (150 minutes) as MP3 download
Surprise your friends! Astonish your family! With Pimsleur, you’ll be speaking and understanding like a native in no time. 30 minutes a day is all it takes. Castilian Spanish Phase 1, Units 6-10 build on material taught in prior units. Each lesson provides 30 minutes of spoken language practice, with an introductory conversation, and new vocabulary and structures. Detailed instructions enable you to understand and participate in the conversation. Each lesson contains practice for vocabulary introduced in previous lessons. The emphasis is on pronunciation and comprehension, and on learning to speak Castilian Spanish.
About Castilian Spanish
- In the United States, the term “Castilian” or “Castilian Spanish” usually refers to the dialect that is the official language of Spain, where it’s used in television and radio broadcasts. It is understood throughout the country, although there are marked regional differences.
- The difference between Castilian Spanish as spoken in Spain and Spanish as spoken in the Americas (now called Latin American Spanish) is due to the diminishing contact between Spain and the Americas over the centuries and to the influence of local languages in the Americas. These two main variants of Spanish are mutually intelligible; the difference between them is comparable to that between British English and American English.
- Pimsleur’s “Castilian Spanish” teaches the official dialect as spoken by the majority of Spanish-speakers in Spain.
- Spanish is the official language of twenty-one countries and is one of the six official languages of the United Nations. Spanish is the first language of more than 350 million people, more than any other language except Mandarin Chinese.
- Furthermore, Spanish is a common second language --- the most studied after English, and the third most commonly used on the Internet after English and Mandarin.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy to use
- It Works
- Not Boring
- Perfects Accent
- No Live Instructor
- Only Has 30 Lessons
Comments about Castilian Spanish Phase 1, Unit 06-10:
Planning ahead as usual, I decided to try to learn a little Spanish 16 days before flying to Madrid. Shopping the Pimsleur site was simple, the download fast and flawless and I was through the first lesson within an hour of my decision. Using no resource other than my iPhone and my Pimsleur audio lessons, I did one new lesson per day and reviewed two previous ones and by the time I arrived in Madrid, I was able to buy tickets, order beer and wine...oh, ya, and food...get directions and even understand simple jokes. I wish the early lessons had included a few more prepositions, and a tiny bit wider vocabulary in general, but all in all I couldn't be more pleased.