Free Audio Lesson
Learn a new language while commuting, while cleaning the house, or working out. Like millions before you, discover the power of the scientifically sequenced and portable Pimsleur Method.
Includes 10 lessons on 5 CDs
- Indonesian, also known as Bahasa Indonesia, is the official language of Indonesia.
- Indonesia is a form of Malay, an Austronesian (or Malayo-Polynesian) language, which had been used as a lingua franca in the Indonesian archipelago for centuries.
- Standard Indonesian pronunciation, which is taught in this course, is based on the language of Jakarta.
- Indonesian is spoken by nearly 35 million people as a first language and by 150 million people as a second language. It is also spoken in Thailand, East Timor, Sri Lanka, Africa, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Netherlands, and the US.
- Besides Indonesian, there are over 300 local languages spoken in Indonesia, however, Indonesian is the primary language in education, government, business and communication.
- Written Indonesian uses the Latin alphabet (like English), there are 26 letters.