Learn to Speak and Understand Ojibwe with Pimsleur Language Programs
- This Edition: CD ( Also available in: MP3 )
- Lessons: 30
- ISBN: 9780743561808
- Availability: Usually ships within 1 business day
List Price: $345.00
Free Audio Lesson
Learn a new language while commuting, while cleaning the house, or working out. Like millions before you, discover the power of the scientifically sequenced and portable Pimsleur Method.
Includes 30 lessons and culture notes on 16 CDs, plus a culture notes booklet
Ojibwe is a North American Indian language of the Algonquian family. It is spoken by approximately 45,000 people in Canada and 10,000 in the United States. The dialects represented in this course are widely used in the Red Lake, Leech Lake, and White Earth Reservations in Northern Minnesota.
The Pimsleur® Method: the easiest, fastest way to learn a new language. Completely portable, easily downloadable, and lots of fun. You'll be speaking and understanding in no time flat! Ojibwe, Comprehensive includes 15 hours of spoken language practice in thirty, 30-minute lessons, plus one hour of culture notes.
- In the first 10 lessons, you'll cover the basics: saying hello and asking for or giving information or preferences. You'll be able to handle minimum courtesy requirements, understand much of what you hear, and be understood at a beginning level, but with near-native pronunciation skills.
- In the next 10 lessons, you'll build on what you've learned. You'll expand your conversational skills and add over a hundred new vocabulary items. You'll understand more of what you hear, and be able to really participate with speech that is smoother and more confident.
- In the final 10 lessons, you'll be speaking and understanding at an intermediate level. In this phase, more and more directions are given in the target language, which moves your learning to a whole new plane. You can talk about your immediate family, go on a car trip, and ask for and understand directions. You'll be able to speak comfortably about things that happened in the past and make plans for the future.
A Culture Notes booklet in a PDF format and a recorded prayer are included at the end of Unit 30. These Notes are designed to provide you with some insight into Ojibwe culture.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy to use
- It Works
- Perfects Accent
- Family background/Heritage
- Just for fun
Comments about Ojibwe Phase 1, Units 1-30:
I received this course as a gift several years ago in the cassette tape version. I am of Ojibwe descent and wanted to learn as much of the language as possible. I had tried using dictionaries but found the complexities of the language too difficult to do accurate translations. Also, I had no idea how the language should sound. I listened to the complete series several times over the years, absorbing a bit more each time. The best thing about the Pimsleur method is that I found I was able to actually think how to say things that hadn't been covered in the lessons. Recently I was listening to a video of Winona LaDuke in which she began in Ojibwemowin without an English translation. I was able to understand every word she said, even though I wasn't expecting her to speak in Ojibwe.
I didn't have to try to translate the words in my head after I heard them...I just understood. It was a very affirming experience.
My only complaint is that, after all these years, there are no further lessons to take me to the next level.