Languages > Indonesian > Indonesian, Basic
Learn to Speak and Understand Indonesian with Pimsleur Language Programs
This Edition: CD
Your Price: $24.95
Availability: Usually ships within 1 business day
Free Audio Lesson
Pimsleur covers the world of languages. You can choose from over 50 languages, many with multiple levels, ranging from the most popular to the exotic. Become a Pimsleur learner and travel the world!
Includes 10 lessons on 5 CDs
- Indonesian, also known as Bahasa Indonesia, is the official language of Indonesia.
- Indonesia is a form of Malay, an Austronesian (or Malayo-Polynesian) language, which had been used as a lingua franca in the Indonesian archipelago for centuries.
- Standard Indonesian pronunciation, which is taught in this course, is based on the language of Jakarta.
- Indonesian is spoken by nearly 35 million people as a first language and by 150 million people as a second language. It is also spoken in Thailand, East Timor, Sri Lanka, Africa, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Netherlands, and the US.
- Besides Indonesian, there are over 300 local languages spoken in Indonesia, however, Indonesian is the primary language in education, government, business and communication.
- Written Indonesian uses the Latin alphabet (like English), there are 26 letters.