Finnish Phase 1, Units 1-30
Learn to Speak and Understand Finnish with Pimsleur Language Programs
This Edition: MP3
Your Price: $119.95
Availability: Available for immediate download
Also available in: CD
Free Audio Lesson
Pimsleur covers the world of languages. You can choose from over 50 languages, many with multiple levels, ranging from the most popular to the exotic. Become a Pimsleur learner and travel the world!
Includes 30 lessons and reading instruction (16 hours) as MP3 download, plus PDF user's guide and reading booklet
About the Finnish Language
- Finnish belongs to the Finnic branch of the Finno-Ugric family of languages.
- Its closest relative is Estonian; Hungarian is a distant cousin.
- It is spoken by approximately 5.2 million people, mostly in Finland, and by some in Sweden and Russia as well.
- There are three varieties of standard Finnish which are spoken throughout the country:
- kirjakieli ("book language") - used in official documents, official speeches and the daily news,
- yleiskieli - the standard language used in schools; it is formal and correct, though more relaxed than the "book language," and
- puhekieli ("spoken language") - more casual variety used in everyday conversation, which changes frequently.
This course teaches the standard Finnish language, yleiskieli.
- In the first 10 lessons, you’ll cover the basics: saying hello, asking for or giving information, scheduling a meal or a meeting, asking for or giving basic directions, and much more. You’ll be able to handle minimum courtesy requirements, understand much of what you hear, and be understood at a beginning level, but with near-native pronunciation skills.
- In the next 10 lessons, you’ll build on what you’ve learned. Expand your menu, increase your scheduling abilities from general to specific, start to deal with currency and exchanging money, refine your conversations and add over a hundred new vocabulary items. You’ll understand more of what you hear, and be able to participate with speech that is smoother and more confident.
- In the final 10 lessons, you’ll be speaking and understanding at an intermediate level. In this phase, more directions are given in the target language, which moves your learning to a whole new plane. Lessons include shopping, visiting friends, going to a restaurant, plans for the evening, car trips, and talking about family. You’ll be able to speak comfortably about things that happened in the past and make plans for the future.
Reading Lessons begin in Unit 11 and provide you with an introduction to reading. These lessons are designed to teach you to sound out words with correct pronunciation and accent. In addition, combined Reading Lessons from all the units are included at the end. A Reading Booklet to be used with the audio lessons is also included in PDF format.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy to use
- It Works
- Perfects Accent
- Family background/Heritage
Comments about Finnish Phase 1, Units 1-30:
I have been waiting for years for Pimsleur to release a Finnish course. I am half way through the course and can see dramatic results. I have been married to a Finnish woman for over a decade and this course is finally helping me to grasp the language. I can't wait to surprise my in-laws next time we go to Finland.
I have found that although a single lesson may move very quickly for me, when I listen to it a second time that usually fixes the problems and I can comprehend way over 80%.
Thank you Pimsleur!
Service and delivery comments:
Please don't take too long to release subsequent courses.