Finnish Phase 1, Unit 11-15
Learn to Speak and Understand Finnish with Pimsleur Language Programs
This Edition: MP3
Your Price: $21.95
Availability: Available for immediate download
Free Audio Lesson
Pimsleur covers the world of languages. You can choose from over 50 languages, many with multiple levels, ranging from the most popular to the exotic. Become a Pimsleur learner and travel the world!
Includes 5 lessons (150 minutes) as MP3 download
About the Finnish Language
- Finnish belongs to the Finnic branch of the Finno-Ugric family of languages.
- Its closest relative is Estonian; Hungarian is a distant cousin.
- It is spoken by approximately 5.2 million people, mostly in Finland, and by some in Sweden and Russia as well.
- There are three varieties of standard Finnish which are spoken throughout the country:
- kirjakieli ("book language") - used in official documents, official speeches and the daily news,
- yleiskieli - the standard language used in schools; it is formal and correct, though more relaxed than the "book language," and
- puhekieli ("spoken language") - more casual variety used in everyday conversation, which changes frequently.
This course teaches the standard Finnish language, yleiskieli.
Pimsleur® equals success. Just one 30-minute lesson a day gets you speaking and understanding like no other program. Finnish Phase 1, Unit 11-15 build on material taught in prior units. Each lesson provides 30 minutes of spoken language practice, with an introductory conversation, and new vocabulary and structures. Detailed instructions enable you to understand and participate in the conversation. Each lesson contains practice for vocabulary introduced in previous lessons. The emphasis is on pronunciation and comprehension, and on learning to speak Finnish. These units contain reading lessons designed to teach you to sound out words with correct pronunciation and accent. A Reading Booklet to be used with the audio lessons is also included in PDF format.