Dari Persian II, Comprehensive
Learn to Speak and Understand Dari Persian with Pimsleur Language Programs
- This Edition: CD ( Also available in: MP3 )
- Lessons: 30
- ISBN: 9781442348776
- Availability: Usually ships within 1 business day
List Price: $345.00
Free Audio Lesson
Learn a new language while commuting, while cleaning the house, or working out. Like millions before you, discover the power of the scientifically sequenced and portable Pimsleur Method.
Includes 30 lessons and reading instruction on 16 CDs, plus a reading booklet
Dari, also called “Dari Persian,” “Eastern Persian,” or “Afghan Persian,” is one of the two official languages of Afghanistan, the other being Pashto. Dari, however, is the standard language used in the government and in the media, and is the native tongue of about 50% of the population. It’s one of three major Persian dialects, although there are many minor ones. Pimsleur's Dari courses teach the official form, “Kabuli Dari.”
Can learning another language be as easy as speaking your own? Yes - with Pimsleur it's that easy. Learn on your own time, at your own pace, and wherever you choose. Dari II includes fifteen hours of spoken language practice and one additional hour of reading instruction and is designed to be used after completing Level I.
- In the first ten lessons, you continue to learn past tense forms. Structures become more complex, and informal speech is introduced. Conversations become fuller as you learn to talk about the activities, needs, and wants of others; discuss family members; practice performing introductions; make comparisons; and discuss future plans. As you progress, your vocabulary is expanded and your fluency increased.
- The next ten lessons allow you to further combine and build upon known elements and to produce longer and more complex sentences. You practice shopping scenarios, deal with business situations, talk in more detail about your family, practice making and receiving phone calls, and discuss the weather. (Note: there is nothing medical-related in the course.)
- In the final ten lessons, you've doubled your vocabulary and have several hundred structures to draw upon. You'll gain experience asking for assistance, finding addresses and locations, talking about leisure activities, and handling different office situations. By the end of Level II, you're speaking at a mid-intermediate level with near-native pronunciation, and you are comfortable meeting most social demands.
Reading Lessons are included at the end of Unit 30. These lessons, which total about one hour, are designed to give you practice reading Dari. You'll be reading words, phrases, and short sentences using familiar vocabulary as well as new vocabulary regarding useful topics such as food, travel, shopping, communication, and more. A Reading Booklet to be used with the audio lessons is also included in PDF format.