Languages > Castilian Spanish > Castilian Spanish Phase 1, Unit 11-15
Castilian Spanish Phase 1, Unit 11-15
Learn to Speak and Understand Castilian Spanish with Pimsleur Language Programs
This Edition: MP3
Your Price: $21.95
Availability: Available for immediate download
Free Audio Lesson
Pimsleur covers the world of languages. You can choose from over 50 languages, many with multiple levels, ranging from the most popular to the exotic. Become a Pimsleur learner and travel the world!
Includes 5 lessons (150 minutes) as MP3 download
Pimsleur® equals success. Just one 30-minute lesson a day gets you speaking and understanding like no other program. Castilian Spanish Phase 1, Units 11-15 build on material taught in prior units. Each lesson provides 30 minutes of spoken language practice, with an introductory conversation, and new vocabulary and structures. Detailed instructions enable you to understand and participate in the conversation. Each lesson contains practice for vocabulary introduced in previous lessons. The emphasis is on pronunciation and comprehension, and on learning to speak Castilian Spanish. Reading Lessons begin in Unit 11 and provide you with an introduction to reading Castilian Spanish. These lessons are designed to teach you to sound out words with correct pronunciation and accent. A Reading Booklet to be used with the audio lessons is also included in PDF format.
About Castilian Spanish
- In the United States, the term “Castilian” or “Castilian Spanish” usually refers to the dialect that is the official language of Spain, where it’s used in television and radio broadcasts. It is understood throughout the country, although there are marked regional differences.
- The difference between Castilian Spanish as spoken in Spain and Spanish as spoken in the Americas (now called Latin American Spanish) is due to the diminishing contact between Spain and the Americas over the centuries and to the influence of local languages in the Americas. These two main variants of Spanish are mutually intelligible; the difference between them is comparable to that between British English and American English.
- Pimsleur’s “Castilian Spanish” teaches the official dialect as spoken by the majority of Spanish-speakers in Spain.
- Spanish is the official language of twenty-one countries and is one of the six official languages of the United Nations. Spanish is the first language of more than 350 million people, more than any other language except Mandarin Chinese.
- Furthermore, Spanish is a common second language --- the most studied after English, and the third most commonly used on the Internet after English and Mandarin.